Building Knowledge

SHM SPARK is a unique online self-assessment tool delivering 175 vignette-style multiple choice questions that bridge the primary knowledge gaps found within existing maintenance of certification (MOC) exam preparation products today. Other exam preparation tools are targeted towards the ABIM Internal Medicine exam and cover only roughly 60% of the Hospital Medicine exam. SHM SPARK is the missing piece of the MOC puzzle designed to serve as a supplemental study guide providing targeted study in the remaining roughly 40% of the FPHM examination blueprint.

SHM SPARK provides in-depth review on the following systems-based content:

  • Palliative Care, Ethics and Decision-Making
  • Patient Safety
  • Perioperative Care and Consultative Comanagement
  • Quality, Cost and Clinical Reasoning

Ensuring Success

Your pathway to success in the Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine has never been easier. SHM SPARK gives you access to relevant hospital medicine review content to enhance patient care, and the flexibility to fill your knowledge gaps and study needs at your own pace.

Take the Final Step in Your Pathway to Success in the Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (FPHM) Exam

Self-Study

The self-study provides extensive review of systems-based content through four different modules each addressing key areas of the FPHM exam:

  • Palliative Care, Ethics and Decision-Making
  • Patient Safety
  • Perioperative Care and Consultative Comanagement
  • Quality, Cost and Clinical Reasoning

This is a self-paced 175 question study guide that engages learners through an open book format. The self-study provides detailed learning objectives, discussion points, and allows users to define individual areas of strengths and weaknesses. After successful completion of all four modules, participants may claim up to 10.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.

Practice Exams

SHM SPARK allows users to create unlimited customized practice exams with content that focuses on one or more topic areas to assess your systems-based knowledge.

The Society of Hospital Medicine’s eLearning Initiatives Together in One Location.


Stay Updated with More Than 15 Modules of NEW Content including:

  • Updated Hospital Quality and Patient Safety MOC Self-Assessment (Adult and Pediatrics)
  • Recruit to Retain Webinar
  • Seven-Module FREE Anticoagulation Series
  • Observation or Inpatient? Challenges and Successes in Implementing the Two-Midnight Rule
  • shmConsults, Consultative and Perioperative Medicine Essentials for Hospitalists
  • And more

Don’t Miss the Opportunity to Easily Capture and Track CME Credits.

    • Update on SHM SPARK MOC Points

      Thank you for using the SHM SPARK self-assessment tool. Whether you purchased it in preparation for the Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine exam, or simply as a part of your commitment to ongoing learning, we hope you have found it valuable, engaging and easy to use.

      This message is to inform you that, as part of its transition to partnership with the ACCME, the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) has eliminated the service SPARK relied upon to report MOC points claimed in April 2017. As of this date, SHM will no longer be reporting MOC points for completed SHM SPARK modules.

      Please note that 10.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for Continuing Medical Education will continue to be available for the entire SPARK program through October 2018.

      Thank you again for your commitment to lifelong learning, and to the specialty of hospital medicine.

      ABIM Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (FPHM) Exam and Program Requirements:

      • Have you met all of the ABIM FPHM program requirements? Click here to review now. 
      • Taking the Hospital Medicine exam? Make sure you have everything you need on exam day.
      • Looking for the ABIM Hospital Medicine exam blueprint? Click here to review exam content.
      • Need to schedule an exam? Review scheduling information here.


    • View All